A principal college constructing in Tel Aviv features a facade of perforated screens patterned with an picture from a painting by Russian-born artist Marc Chagall – the school’s namesake.
Nearby firm Paritzki & Liani Architects was asked to include a new two storey facility to an present French college in the Tel Aviv neighbourhood of Neve Tzedek.
The school is named soon after Marc Chagall – a 20th century Jewish artist who specialised in stained-glass windows and large-scale paintings. Born in Russia in 1887, Chagall relocated to France in 1910 to create his art and returned yet again following the second planet war.
Some of his most popular pieces contain windows in France’s Cathédrale Notre-Dame de Reims and Metz Cathedral, and a painted ceiling in the Paris Opéra.
Studio founders Paola Liani and Itai Paritzki chose to integrate influences and direct references from Chagall’s function in their design.
Related story: Property E/J in Tel Aviv by Paritzki & Liani Architects
The constructing is split into two volumes – a main location with rooms organised about a modest courtyard planted with elders, and a 2nd part with wide, versatile classroom space.
The north-facing finish of the primary volume, which overlooks the primary road, is clad with a screen created from perforated aluminium panels that shield the windows although even now allowing natural light into the rooms.
These panels feature an image from a 1914 Chagall painting named In excess of the Town, which shows a couple seeming to fly via the air above a cluster of buildings. The image was recreated employing a 3D pixel method, which recognized regions of the aluminium that could be reduce away using a computer-contolled machine to produce the impact.
“Thirty optical panels of aluminum, of various measures and produced for the painting thanks to the 3D pixel technique, transform the colors of the picture in a lot of tiny shadows created by the peculiar form of the panels’ surface, producing the picture virtually a hologram,” stated the architects.
“This generates an optical weave that changes in accordance to the level of see of the observer or the diverse diffusion of artificial light for the duration of evening.”
On the west facade facing the current school building, fins of coloured glass are fixed to the wall, beneath a row of clerestory windows. Thin steel cables connect the pieces of glass to the floor and offer a assistance for climbing plants.
“We considered that as an alternative of employing the ‘classical’ vitrage technique it could be interesting to see the result of the oblique sunlight passing by way of the distinct colored glasses, painting the white plaster of the facade,” the designers informed Dezeen.
The colors of the panels are followed through within in the flooring of the classrooms. The layout of the constructing was made “as a microcosm of the city”.
“The classrooms were made as micro-flats and the volumes are like little homes of a Mediterranean town, joined in their frequent spaces by passages, modest squares and unexpected gardens,” explained the architects.
Relevant content material: far more projects by Paritzki & Liani
Entrances to the building are presented by openings in the west and east facades and a covered staircase. Two external staircases with wooden treads and metal-mesh balustrades lead up about the courtyard to the two classrooms and a communal outside area on the upper floor, which also has separate bathrooms for boys and girls.
“The main characteristic of these stairs is to stick to the path in a double and asymmetric way, each internally from the flight of stairs that fronts onto the patio, and from the primary backyard of the school,” said the architects.
“This direct path, which leads from the exterior to the initial floor is a single of the primary aspects of the facade, which is oriented in direction of the old developing and makes the visitor appear at the sky,” they additional.
The ground floor also has two classrooms, as properly as a teacher’s space and yet another toilet. A basement level includes a protected room for missile and gas attacks, and a computer area.