Sponsored by Target Australia
We generally hibernate over winter and don’t entertain much during the colder months. Now that spring has arrived, we are looking forward to spending more time outdoors and having lots of BBQ’s and meals with family and friends. We have been spending the last couple of weekends spring cleaning our home and tidying up our garden in preparation for springtime entertaining.
Here are some of our top tips for easy Spring entertaining.
Canteen Side Plates and Dinner Plate
1. Bake a Spring Themed Dessert
We always associate flowers with spring so what would be more fitting that a flower inspired dessert? We used a rose silicone cake pan to make a rose shaped marble cake. Dusted with icing (confectioners sugar) and served with fresh berries and cream, it is a perfect springtime treat. (Check out our recipe below)
Rose Shaped Silicone Cake Mould
2. Set a Colourful Table
Using brightly coloured plates and glasses, table linens, and fresh flowers and herbs on your table. We love the Canteen range from Target, especially the red and aqua tableware.
Country Fair Lolly Bowls – Set of 4
3. Cater for the Younger Guests
Organise some games or dvd’s for the children to keep them busy. A candy buffet is a perfect treat for young and old.
Country Fair Sundae Cup – Set of 2
4.Have a Simple and Fuss Free Menu
Don’t spend all the time in the kitchen. Planning a simple menu and having a buffet style meal means everyone can serve themselves giving you more time to spend with your guests. Making your own ice-cream sundae is always popular! Who doesn’t like dessert buffets?
Mason Jar Cup, Canteen Glasses, Glass Water Decanter
5. Prepare Spring Time Drinks
Keep the drinks fresh and fruity for Spring with lots of ice and fresh mint.
Country Fair Milk Bottle – Set of 2
6. Keep it Affordable
You can host a fun Spring time get together without blowing the budget. Find some colourful accessories at Target in their new spring homeware collection to mix and match with existing pieces to create a fresh look for your table. All the items listed in the photos above were purchased at Target, with prices starting from \$4.
Blanc Creamer, Canteen Side Plate and Dinner Plate
Chocolate and Vanilla Marble Cake
Our Chocolate and Vanilla Marble Cake has been a family favourite for many years. It is delicious as an afternoon tea treat or you can add some fresh berries and ice-cram for a yummy dessert. Baking the cake in a silicone pan makes it look extra fancy. We were surprised how easy it was to unmould from the silicon pan without damaging the petals.
Marble Cake Print Prep time Cook time Total time This delicious buttery cake is made with chocolate and vanilla cake batter that has been swirled together to create a marble effect. Author: Lisa Recipe type: Cakes Cuisine: Baking Serves: 12 Ingredients
- 4 eggs (separated)
- 250 g unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup castor sugar
- 2¼ cups self raising flour, sifted
- ½ cup milk
- 1½ tablespoons cocoa
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla essence
- Preheat oven to 170°C.
- Grease and flour a bundt tin (25 cm diameter) or round cake tin.
- Whisk egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Cream butter and sugar with electric mixer. Gradually add egg yolks; mix well.
- Add flour and milk, alternately; stir.
- Gently fold in whisked egg whites.
- Divide mixture in half. Add cocoa and vanilla essence to one half of the mixture and carefully stir in.
- Add big spoonfuls of both light and dark mixtures alternately into cake tin. Pull a fork through the mixture once to make the swirl.
- Bake in a moderate oven about 50 -60 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve dusted with icing sugar.
- Serves 12
The post Spring Baking and Entertaining