We could all use a little interiors inspiration for Autumn/Winter 2014, don’t you think? What are you planning to do to add warmth and a fresh touch to your rooms once Fall kicks in? I’m still on the fence, but I’ll definite add new drapes for my living room (I’ll share the before and after next month) and I plan to hang some art over the sofa and buy a new coffee table as I attempt to baby proof things around here since our crawler is super active and pulling himself up on everything at only 7 months old. And of course, a good throw pillow or ten! Here are some from Lauraloves, designed exclusively by Laura Nicolson in England who so nicely reached out to me today. I love the peacock silk cushion and the olivia silhouette with that chic herringbone pattern. That looks so Fallish.
Since so many of you enjoy it when I share decorating tips, here are five things I look for when I’m shopping for cushions:
1. Zippers! They need to have them so I can easily swap out the cushion covers with each season and rotate through my favorites year round without having to store bulky cushions.
2. The fillers definitely need to be down or down-like because I love a relaxed look – they can’t be overly plump – they need to be squishy
3. Natural materials… Silk is great for a glam look, cotton for a bit more of a natural, relaxed home and you can even go with texture like leather, wool, knit, etc. For spring I like cotton and linen and for cooler months I’m a lover of leather, wool, knit and nubby linen. Silk is nice for all seasons but not so much to lounge on, they’re meant to be more decorative I think and to simply sit on a sofa and look good.
4. Something fresh and trendy. I know, lots of you don’t like the word trend but honestly, I really love trends as long as I have some balance and don’t go overboard. I really enjoy wearing trends from time to time (Birks were trending this summer, did you notice? We can thank Jenna Lyons and J.Crew for that I think) and I love adding stuff to my home that is trendy because I feel it freshens the space and adds a different vibe. Sometimes I can get really same-y same-y with my interiors – I think lots of us can when we decorate for years and years – and trends pull me out of that and force me to try something I may not have attempted before. Like adding a certain color, motif or texture to my space. And cushions are perfect for adding a bit of trend into a room because they’re not that expensive and they can easily be swapped out when you tire of them, stored easily and reused later or you can donate them or sell them on eBay or your next garage sale or something. In fact, I think the easiest way to experiment with a trend is through soft furnishings, particularly cushions, as they are small enough and can be budget-friendly.
5. I need to love it. This point should have been first maybe? But yeah, I have to love it. Even something as seemingly mundane as a cushion. I need to feel a bit of excitement when I see it and when I bring it home, it needs to give the space that needed touch.
What do you think of these throw pillows by Lauraloves? Do you look for anything in particular when you shop for pillows?
Please Note: I do not own nor have I experienced this product in person so my opinion is based upon what I saw on her website and lookbook only. Products that I own and use will be noted going forward with “decor8 tested and approved” at the end of the post to help you to better find products that I personally love and recommend for purchase.